What should I budget for when I move into student accommodation?

Shivay Singh,

There are two types of accommodation that a student can opt for – on-campus student housing (if available) and off-campus rented apartments. Generally, there is limited graduate-student housing available on campus in U.S. universities and many students live off-campus in shared accommodations with friends and class-mates. For off-campus housing, you have to budget for the apartment rent, utility bills, and groceries.

The apartment rents vary by the city where your university is located. In larger cities, the rents vary from as high as $5000 to $2000 per month for a 2-bedroom apartment. This would include cities like New York, New Jersey, San Francisco, Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Boston, and other big cities. However, there are small university towns where the rents are not as high. For example, Toledo, OH (University of Toledo); Detroit, MI (Wayne State University); Knoxville, TN (University of Tennessee); and Tucson, AZ (University of Arizona) are some of the places with lowest rentals in the country. In these cities, you can find a 2-bedroom apartment for a rent anywhere between $650-$800 per month. You can look up your university on website to get an estimate of the rentals.

">" rel="nofollow"> to get an estimate of the rentals.

Other than rent, you will have to pay for utility bills (electricity, gas, and water) and the groceries. The utility bills will depend on your usage. If you choose to eat out all your meals, then groceries need not be budgeted, although be reminded that it is cheaper if you cook at home. You might also want to budget for your transportation cost if you find a place that is not at walking distance from the campus.

Hope this resolves your query!!

Best regards,
ELS International Education Pathways Pvt. Ltd. ( )
Over 55 Years of Leadership in International Education – 1961-Present
india.inqui ">india.inqui