Types of US Student Visa

student visas usa

If you are planning to study in USA, you might be thinking of the kind of visa that you’ll need to apply. There are generally three types of student visas offered by USA; F1, J1 and M1 visas. Let’s take a look at these.

Student Visas for USA

F1 Visa

An F1 visa is issued to international students who aspire to study in US. Those of you, who are seeking admission to any high school, private elementary school, university, seminary, language training program or any other academic organization in US, have to file for an F1 visa application in advance.

The process to get the F1 visa is usually simple but requires time to get issued. Thus if you have decided to study in US you should immediately visa application process as soon as you get your admission confirmed. So that it does not create any delay in your visa process . Any US school that has approval of Student and Exchange Visitor Program has the longest process to allow you to become an international student. Not all US educational institutions are qualified to enroll the international students. So it is essential to verify beforehand that the school that you wish to attend is approved.

To get the F1 visa you should have enough resources to cover the living and study expenses in US.

J1 Visa

J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa given by US meant especially for research scholars, exchange visitors and professors who represent their country, institution or organization through cultural exchange or to get medical or business training in US. You should meet all eligibility criteria, English language necessities and should be sponsored by an authorized university, government body or private sector organization.

J1 visa eligibility criteria are based on the program category that has been selected and the organization that is sponsoring your visa. A mandatory requirement for J1 visa is, all applicants should have English language proficiency and should have proper health insurance. Before the visa is granted you have to appear for individual interview with the US consulate or Embassy in your home country.

M1 Visa

If you wish to go to any accredited vocational or non-academic school, for example a trade school, practical training school, etc. you may apply for an M1 visa which is a temporary student visa.

In order to qualify for an M1 visa you need to attend a vocational study program that is approved and opt for full course of study. During the interview you should be able to prove and justify your purpose for going to US on temporary basis.

The M1 visa allows you to stay for one year in US, or as long as you are enrolled in a vocational study program for full-time in addition to 30 days which are given to leave US, whichever option is shorter in time duration.

Subscribe to our Newsletter
  • Enter your email address